Experience the Arts in Ames
The lively and vibrant arts scene in Ames is reflected by the Ames Community Arts Council, an umbrella organization devoted to celebrating all of the arts and letting you know how to participate! ACAC can lead you to vocal and instrumental concerts, dance and theater performances, visual arts exhibits, unique shopping, cultural events, arts classes and workshops, and more.
ACAC offers several methods of learning about arts events and other opportunities in Ames.
- An office at 416 Douglas Ave., Suite 200, provides personal assistance and member brochures.
- The ACAC website, www.amesart.org, offers a wealth of information. At the click of your fingertip you will find a calendar of events, ACAC member arts organizations, businesses and artists (often with links to their websites), and information on becoming an ACAC member.
- The ACAC Arts information is published on Sunday in the Ames Tribune's "Arts and Community" section.
- Other local media including KHOI Community Radio offers information.
- A weekly Arts/Classes Calendar is electronically sent to members
- Displays at other community events focus on arts experiences.
For several years, the Ames Community Arts Council has sponsored the summer family friendly event, Tune In to Main Street. Beginning in the summer of 2013, the the summer concert series will become "Third Thursday Tune In to Main Street." The 2013 event will be held on June 13, July 18, and August 15, 5:30-7:30pm, Tom Evans Plaza in downtown Ames. The FREE family friendly event will include music and children's activities.
In 2010 ACAC (with support from the Ames Convention and Visitors Bureau and Ames Noon Rotary grants) planned, promoted and organized AM in the Plaza which supported its "Arts in Education" mission. ACAC has also promoted "Arts in Education" through its work with the Ames Middle School National Junior Art Honor Society and Iowa State University's University Museum's Visual Literacy and Learning Project, Object Lessons.
ACAC promotes the resonance of music, the allure of culture, the inspiration of studio, the movement of dance, and the spark of education!